More than 2,800 military personnel across Turkey were rounded up after the coup attempt on Friday.
NATO has confirmed that all personnel and units stationed in Turkey are safe.
The secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, made the announcement on Twitter after speaking with Curtis Scaparrotti, NATO’s top general in Europe, and the Turkish Foreign Ministry.
— Jens Stoltenberg (@jensstoltenberg) July 15, 2016
— Jens Stoltenberg (@jensstoltenberg) July 16, 2016
— Jens Stoltenberg (@jensstoltenberg) July 16, 2016
The United States Defense Department has roughly 2,200 uniformed military personnel and civilians in Turkey. About 1,500 of them are based at Incirlik, an air base in southern Turkey near Syria. The United States has used the base to launch airstrikes against the Islamic State.
Since March, Incirlik has been on an “elevated force protection level” amid concerns that militants were targeting it. In May, Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter ordered all family members of military personnel based at Incirlik to leave the country.
At CNN Turk, military coup plotters were reported to have taken over the studio and to have cut the television feed. A short time later, it was reported that special forces had regained control.
Greece has arrested eight people aboard a Turkish military helicopter that landed in Alexandroupolis shortly before noon, the country’s Ministry of Public Order and Citizen Protection said.
The eight individuals have requested political asylum, the ministry said in a text message to reporters, and the helicopter has been placed under guard.
The Turkish foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, demanded on Twitter their immediate extradition.
— Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu (@MevlutCavusoglu) July 16, 2016
The Greek government said it would consider the asylum requests in line with international laws.
“But in examining their requests, it will be taken into account that they participated in an attempt to overthrow the democratic regime and the constitutional order in the neighboring country,” a government spokeswoman, Olga Gerovasili, said.
She added that Greece had communicated with Turkey to arrange for the swift return of the helicopter.
Before entering Greek airspace, the helicopter issued a distress signal and was escorted by two Greek fighter jets before it was given permission to land, Greek television reported.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim described the coup attempt as “a stain in the history of Turkish democracy,” as he raised the death toll in the clashes to at least 265.
Speaking at a news conference, Mr. Yildirim said the security forces had detained 2,839 military personnel linked to the coup attempt.
He described those who opened fire on civilians as worse than the Kurdish rebels that Turkey has been battling.
“I congratulate all citizens who resisted the coup attempt,” he said. “We are pleased that this rebellion did not take place within the chain of command.”
Mr. Yildirim said 161 “martyrs” had been killed in the violence, with an additional 1,440 injured. The authorities reported earlier that 104 participants in the coup attempt had been killed.
Correction: An earlier version of this blog post misstated the number of military personnel linked to the coup attempt who were detained. It was 2,839, not 2,639.
Soldiers who took over Turkey’s military headquarters in Ankara, the capital, have requested negotiations to surrender, according to Anadolu Agency, the state-run news service.
An official in the president’s office said the building was the last base under the control of supporters of the coup attempt.
The government has “90 percent control” of the situation, but some military commanders are still being held prisoner by the coup participants, Turkey’s minister of European Union affairs, Omer Celik, told the private broadcaster NTV.
Photographs are coming out showing clashes on Saturday on the Bosporus Bridge in Istanbul, where a faction of the military stopped traffic Friday night.
The photographs appear to show soldiers surrendering, and some of them being beaten, before escaping into a bus.
CNN Turk had earlier broadcast live footage of a group of 50 soldiers abandoning their tanks and walking away with their hands in the air on one of the bridges connecting the Asian and European sides of the city.
More than 100 people who participated in the coup attempt have been killed, Turkey’s acting military chief, Gen. Umit Dundar, said in televised remarks.
He said that figure was in addition to 90 deaths, mostly of civilians, reported earlier, according to Agence France-Presse and The Associated Press.
More than 1,000 others have been injured.
“The coup attempt was rejected by the chain of command immediately. The people have taken to the streets and voiced their support for democracy,” General Dundar said.
He added, “The nation will never forget this betrayal.”
The number of people arrested in connection with the coup attempt continues to climb. At least 1,563 army personnel across Turkey are now in custody, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported, citing the Interior Ministry.
The news organization also posted video showing soldiers turning themselves in.
Turkey’s state-run news agency said that about 200 unarmed soldiers left the nation’s military headquarters and surrendered to the police in the capital, Ankara.
The news organization, Anadolu Agency, also raised the number killed in the coup violence to 90, with more than 1,000 wounded.
Turkish lawmakers have convened an extraordinary session in the Parliament building, where a bomb exploded Friday night during the coup attempt.
Ismail Kahraman, speaker of the Grand National Assembly, said that opposition party leaders were scheduled to speak this afternoon.
Turkish security forces have rescued the nation’s top general and taken him to a safe location, according to the state-run Anadolu Agency.
Earlier reports said Gen. Hulusi Akar, the military’s chief of staff, had been captured by supporters of the coup as it began to unfold.
CNN Turk reported that General Akar would now take command of the operation against those trying to overthrow the government.
At least 60 people have been killed in the attempted coup, most of them civilians, an official in President Erdogan’s office told news agencies.
Separately, the state-run Anadolu Agency is reporting that 754 members of the armed forces linked to the coup have been detained across Turkey, including a brigadier general in northeastern Turkey.
Anadolu also reported that 29 colonels and five generals had been removed from their posts.
Turkey’s police chief, Celalettin Lekesiz, was quoted saying that 16 supporters of the coup had been killed in clashes at Turkey’s military police command. Mr. Lekesiz said 250 others there were arrested.
Reuters is reporting that officers behind the attempted coup have issued a statement calling on members of the public to stay indoors for their own safety.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has urged the public to take to the streets and occupy public squares to protest the coup attempt.
The statement came from an email address used by the press office of the General Staff of the Turkish military. The officers called themselves the Peace at Home Movement and said they were continuing to fight those who opposed them, Reuters reported.
Fethullah Gulen, the exiled Muslim cleric whom President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused of plotting against him, has condemned the coup attempt and denied any role in it.
“I condemn, in the strongest terms, the attempted military coup in Turkey,” he said in an emailed statement. “Government should be won through a process of free and fair elections, not force.”
“I pray to God for Turkey, for Turkish citizens and for all those currently in Turkey that this situation is resolved peacefully and quickly,” he added. “As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt. I categorically deny such accusations.”
Turkish television showed live footage of a group of soldiers surrendering on one of the bridges in Istanbul, but there were reports of continuing clashes in Ankara.
About 50 soldiers involved in the attempted coup were shown abandoning tanks on the bridge and walking away with their hands in the air, Reuters reported.
Other news agencies reported airstrikes on tanks outside the presidential palace in Ankara. A military helicopter said to have been operated by supporters of the coup was reportedly shot down.
The Turkish Embassy in Washington said that an attempt “to overthrow the democratically elected government” had been “foiled by the Turkish people in unity and solidarity.”
“Our president and government are in charge,” the embassy said in a statement.
It blamed the coup attempt on “a clique within the armed forces” and said the move had “received a well-deserved response from our nation.”
More than 130 people have been arrested in connection with the attempted military coup in Turkey, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said in comments to CNN Turk.
Separately, prosecutors said 42 people, mostly civilians, had been killed in clashes in the capital, Ankara.
It was not immediately clear whether the toll included 12 deaths reported after a bomb was detonated at the Turkish Parliament. Seventeen police officers were also previously reported killed in a helicopter attack on a special-forces police station on the outskirts of Ankara.
The private broadcaster NTV reported that two civilians had been killed in clashes in Istanbul.
A journalist at The Hurriyet Daily News was reporting on Twitter that soldiers had taken over the newspaper’s newsroom in Istanbul.
— Emre KIZILKAYA (@ekizilkaya) July 16, 2016
The journalist, Emre Kizilkaya, wrote on Twitter that soldiers had taken some journalists as hostages.
“I’m in the car lot,” he wrote. “Bad that I forgot my car’s key at my desk.”
He said he saw a SWAT team approaching the building as he was leaving.
— Emre KIZILKAYA (@ekizilkaya) July 16, 2016
At CNN Turk, military coup plotters were reported to have taken over the studio and cut the television feed. A short time later, The Daily Sabah reported that a civilian was seen in the studio and that special forces had taken control.
— DAILY SABAH (@DailySabah) July 16, 2016
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, speaking at Istanbul Ataturk Airport early Saturday, said that a coup attempt by members of the armed forces loyal to his rival, Fethullah Gulen, amounted to “treason.”
“A minority within the armed forces has unfortunately been unable to stomach Turkey’s unity,” Mr. Erdogan said, adding that individuals loyal to Mr. Gulen had “penetrated the armed forces and the police, among other government agencies, over the past 40 years.”
“What is being perpetrated is a rebellion and a treason,” Mr. Erdogan said. “They will pay a heavy price for their treason to Turkey.”
News media reports from Turkey indicate that Mr. Erdogan is expected to return to Istanbul early Saturday morning, hours after some military leaders tried to seize control of the country.
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) July 16, 2016
There were indications early Saturday that coup leaders did not have a tight grip on many parts of the country, where martial law had been declared.
But there were also indications that the tension in Istanbul and Ankara, the capital, remained high.
— CNN Türk ENG (@CNNTURK_ENG) July 16, 2016
In clashes between security forces loyal to the president and military forces seeking his ouster, 17 police officers were killed near Ankara. And there were reports of violence in other areas of the country’s biggest cities. And a dozen people were killed in a bombing at the Parliament in Ankara.
It is unclear at this time where Mr. Erdogan is or when he might address the country next.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.
Recommended article from FiveFilters.org: Most Labour MPs in the UK Are Revolting.
Powered by WPeMatico