Minnehaha Academy senior Chimali Day was in the school counselor’s office, her parents by her side when the sudden warning came.
“Get out!” a staffer cried, breaking the Wednesday morning calm on the upper school campus. “There’s a gas leak.”
Day leapt for the door just as the center of the south Minneapolis private school building exploded, the blast knocking her to the floor. Day’s mother jumped on top of her, instinctively sheltering her child with her body. Then they scrambled through the back door of the counseling office while her father went looking for her classmates.
The teenager was among the students and staff who escaped the natural gas explosion that killed receptionist Ruth Berg, 47, and janitor John F. Carlson, 82, and injured nine other people, one critically. Carlson’s body was pulled from the rubble just before 9 p.m. by staffers from the Hennepin County medical examiner’s office and removed from the scene.
Meanwhile, staff and parents at the Christian school along the Mississippi River in Minneapolis grieved even as they gave thanks that fall classes were not yet in session.
“Tonight is an example of the kind of caring community we are,” Minnehaha Academy President Donna M. Harris, who was injured in the blast, said during an evening prayer service at the academy’s nearby lower and middle campus. Seven hundred people packed the campus chapel for the emotional service, which featured hymn-singing, words of comfort, and many tears.
“We’re going to get through it,” Harris said. “We trust God. He is going to do phenomenal work.”
The explosion rocked and set ablaze the upper school at 10:23 a.m., causing a partial collapse.
Fire Chief John Fruetel confirmed one fatality during an afternoon news conference held within yards of deeply gouged building, saying a body had been pulled from the rubble sometime after 2 p.m., while also acknowledging “of the two missing, we have located one, just one.”
Late Wednesday, one person remained hospitalized in critical condition and three in satisfactory condition at Hennepin County Medical Center. Five were treated and released.
Among those on the upper school campus at the time of the blast were year-round staff, girls for summer cross-country practice, as well as school basketball and soccer players. Classes were scheduled to begin Aug. 23.
Condolences poured onto social media for Berg, who was engaged to be married, according to future brother-in-law Jeff Burrington, and Carlson, a Minnehaha alumnus who returned in 2003 to work as a janitor and was well-loved by students and faculty alike.
His wife, Barbara Carlson, would only say in a telephone interview from her Minneapolis home, “I am not doing well. I haven’t heard from my husband, and I’d like to keep the line free.”
‘A big drum’ in basement
In the first moments after the blast, the race against time and the peril of leaking natural gas proved daunting for the initial emergency responders.
Police officer Dean Milner said he and others saw one person under the rubble and were told there was another they could not spot. He and the other officers broke apart what remained of a demolished wall and freed the first person. But because of flames, heat and the lack of heavy equipment so soon after the disaster, they couldn’t reach the other person. And they smelled gas.
“We’re getting told as we’re digging them out that there is gas leaking into the basement, that there is a big drum in the basement and the flames were getting close to us as we almost had the debris off of him to get him out,” said officer Vicki Karnik. “I think the hardest part was not being able to help any further.”
A third person who had been thought to be missing was found uninjured at about noon. Nine people were taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, said Dr. Jim Miner, the hospital’s chief of emergency services. Miner described the injuries as fractures, cuts and head wounds. He said no one was being treated for burns.
“It could have been a lot worse,” he said during a media briefing outside the hospital. “We were relieved; we were prepared for a lot more injuries.” Still, he added, “It was a terrible tragedy.”
The building, which is near E. Lake Street in the 3100 block of West River Parkway, collapsed mostly in the center portion, the fire chief said, where the utility area is located and where a chimney was damaged but still standing. Window frames popped out of walls. Classrooms also took the brunt of the blast.
Two floors collapsed over a subbasement that soon was filled with water from the hoses used to knock down the fire, Fruetel said.
Agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were on scene interviewing witnesses, one with his head bandaged. Minneapolis homicide detectives took witnesses one by one into a Metro Transit bus for interviews.
The natural gas supply from CenterPoint Energy was cut off, and the utility sent crew members to the site to help secure the area and investigate the circumstances of the leak, said CenterPoint spokeswoman Becca Virden.
Some smelled gas
Occupants in the building were aware of the presence of gas before the explosion.
Fruetel acknowledged there were reports of a gas leak before the collapse. “There was some warning to get out of the building. I do know that,” he said.
According to city of Minneapolis records, Eagan-based Master Mechanical Inc. was issued a permit on June 7 for “gas piping and hooking up meter” at the address.
Ryan Larsen, a financial officer with the company, said, “We’ve got people on the site there. They are figuring it out.” In a statement later, Master Mechanical said, “We are forever grateful to those first responders and bystanders who came to the aid of all of the injured, including our employees.”
Workplace inspections of Master Mechanical have led to two citations for violations in recent years, neither of which had major penalties, according to Jenny O’Brien, a spokeswoman for Minnesota OSHA. The company was initially fined $1,100 in 2010 for a violation related to an employee’s protection from falling, on a Bloomington site. In 2014, it was initially fined $600 for two paperwork violations at a Maple Grove site, involving an employee right-to-know and a hazard communication, OSHA records show. Those fines were later reduced, to $770 (2010) and $415 (2014).
A blast, and terror
Kylee Kassebaum, a sophomore cross-country runner, and her teammates had left the building for lunch about 30 seconds before the blast.
“All the windows just kind of burst out, and there was a huge explosion that was so loud it kind of shook your insides,” she said. “As soon as we saw it we got in the car, and someone drove away because we didn’t know how safe the situation was.”
School administration official Jacob Swanson said he and others were in a meeting, when “I heard a loud explosion. My ears popped.”
Swanson said that he and the others “just saw the middle of the building gone.”
A girls’ basketball team was also practicing in the gym when the blast occurred. A coach described it as sounding like “a large door slamming.”
Tom Haubrich graduated from the academy in May and rushed there after seeing news reports.
“That right there is where everybody would’ve been during the school year,” he said, pointing to the destruction. “That’s the stairwell that connects the entire school to everything.”
Lunchrooms, libraries, classrooms, “everything connects to right there,” he said. “If it had been during the school year, hundreds would’ve been hurt.”
Dozens of neighbors lined 46th Avenue S. as they watched units douse the rubble from across the school’s soccer field and behind yellow caution tape.
Anne Dussol, who lives a block away from the school, said she heard the explosion, and “there were flames shooting from the parking lot. We thought at first it was a car on fire until we realized the building was gone.”
Kids were playing soccer on the athletic field as what she believed was part of a soccer camp, she said. After the explosion, they ran from the school and onto the street.
Deb Shold said she was in the basement about a block away, when the explosion rattled her home. Two minutes later she grabbed her watch, which read 10:25 a.m. “I heard a very loud explosion, and the lights dimmed but came right back on,” she said.
Founded in 1913, Minnehaha Academy is a Christian school. The school had 825 students enrolled during the 2015-2016 school year.
Gov. Mark Dayton said in a statement that his office “is in continuous contact with the city of Minneapolis and the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, as emergency personnel respond to this emergency.”
Dayton pledged that the state “will provide any and all resources necessary to aid first responders in their efforts to ensure the safety of all those impacted by this morning’s explosion.”
‘We are going to rally’
At Wednesday night’s packed prayer vigil, tears flowed freely.
“No one thought this morning this was going to happen,” said Mark Stromberg, superintendent of the northwest conference of the Evangelical Covenant Church, acknowledging the mourners’ shock.
After the service, students from the upper campus gathered at the back of the chapel, where principal Jason Wenschlag told them that although he doesn’t have answers to why the tragedy happened, “Everything is going to be OK.”
“We are going to rally,” he said.
Star Tribune staff writers Beatrice Dupuy, Andy Mannix, James Shiffer and Karen Zamora contributed to this report.
Powered by WPeMatico